The purpose of this website is to provide educational resources for paper money collectors to inform and enhance their collecting experience. Additional resources will be added as they become available. This wiki is sponsored by the Society of Paper Money Collectors as part of its educational mission to promote the study and appreciation of paper money and related financial history.
To find what you're looking for on this website, you can use the navigation links on the sidebar, or the search box in the upper right-hand corner.
Encyclopedia of U.S. National Bank Notes
The Huntoon-Shiva Encyclopedia of U.S. National Bank Notes is jointly published by the National Currency Foundation and the Society of Paper Money Collectors.
This encyclopedia covers every aspect of United States National Bank Notes issued from 1863 to 1935. The encyclopedia currently contains over 1,500 pages, 1,400 illustrations and 210 tables divided into 144 chapters organized into 17 topical sections. It is designed to be a dynamic work in progress, and will be updated as new information becomes available.
SPMC Paper Money Articles Index
This index provides links to all 2500+ articles that have appeared in the Paper Money Journal since the first issue in 1962. Each article is a separate pdf document for easy viewing or download.
If an article was published in the last five years, SPMC membership login is required to view the article. All other articles are publicly available.
The SPMC Paper Money Articles Index home page has links to index pages for each of the 16 article Categories, as well as an index page listing all of the articles. New articles will be added to the index as each new (bi-monthly) issue of the SPMC Paper Money Journal is published.
Significant National Bank Note Collections
SPMC hosts an online showcase of Significant National Bank Note Collections. The notes in each collection are listed in an easily searchable and sortable table with links to high resolution images. Currently there are three NBN collections included:
- The Huntoon Collection of U.S. National Banks Notes
- Peter Huntoon assembled an incredible collection of 490 nationals between 1964 and 2006 that included notes from all 50 states and the District of Columbia as well as comprehensive state collections for Arizona and Wyoming. Included are 25 territorial notes.
- The Walton Collection of Nebraska National Bank Notes
- Gerome Walton assembled between 1965 and 2021 the most comprehensive collection of Nebraska National Bank Notes yet assembled. The collection consists of 1,121 notes from 260 of the 290 Nebraska banks from which notes have been reported.
- The Jorde Collection of North Dakota National Bank Notes
- Glen Jorde assembled between 1963 and 2013 the most complete collection of North Dakota National Bank Notes yet assembled. The collection consists of 414 notes from 171 of the 188 North Dakota banks from which notes have been reported. Included are five Dakota Territory Notes.
Over time, SPMC plans to include additional important National Bank Note Collections in this online showcase.